Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Building Connections

I stumbled across this live Built to Spill clip a few moments ago. In it Doug Martsch and band cover an old Gladiators classic, "Re-arrange." It grabbed me because it represents two distinctive stages in my musical appreciation: the indie rock of my pre-teen and teen years, and then the reggae that comprised much of my listening throughout most of my 20's. There are few things better than a well performed cover, especially one that extends beyond a band's usual genre or comfort zone. Who doesn't enjoy learning what influences and inspires an artist's creativity?



Now the original version of 'Re-arrange.' Clinton Fearon, original bassist and vocalist for The Gladiators, still records and performs to this day.



Reminder for the day: Good music is good music. Period.

2 comments:

jz1 said...

Despite not being able to view these clips, this is my favorite post of the year. Well done.

Joe Manekin said...

Thanks. Check out the clips when you have a chance - I think you'll enjoy both of 'em.